- Plastics require 100 to 400 years to break down in a landfill.
- Producing new plastic from recycled material uses only two-thirds of the energy required to manufacture it from raw materials.
- For every 7 trucks needed to deliver paper grocery bags to the store, only 1 is needed to carry the same number of plastic grocery bags.
- By using plastic in packaging, American product manufacturers save enough energy each year to power a city of 1 million homes for 3 _ years.
- As much as 40% of selected plastic parts from damaged or discarded cars are repaired and reused.
- Over 1.5 billion pounds of post-consumer plastic bottles were recycled during 1999, accounting for 22% (by weight) of all plastic bottles produced in the U.S.
- PET bottles (soda & water) and HDPE bottles (milk, laundry detergent) are the most commonly collected plastic materials in community recycling programs.
- 95% of all plastic bottles in the U.S. market are manufactured from PET or HDPE. 56% of recycled PET finds a market in the manufacture of fiber (carpet & clothing). 29% of HDPE recycled bottles go into making new bottles and 18% goes into the plastic pipe industry.
- Recycling 1 ton of plastic can save 1-2 thousand gallons of gas.
- Every year we make enough plastic film to shrink-wrap the state of Texas.
You can view this information and more recycling information at the following website: